Small Business Saturday began as an initiative by American Express in 2010 to support local businesses. We don’t want to forget to support the small businesses that play a vital role in our neighborhoods and lives.
So why isn’t Small Business Saturday a year-round event?
Here are some facts about how small businesses make our world go ’round.
- 2/3 of all non-government jobs created in the government are from small businesses.
- Pay Local Taxes – Circulating money help the community thrive.
- Offer Better Services – Local retailers are more inclined to be flexible in policies and pricing, local companies can also provide one-on-one service that is often very difficult for corporate businesses.
- Add Vibrancy – Small businesses are unique and add a distinct personality to their surrounding communities, bringing in more consumer traffic for the area
Here is how you can support your local businesses!
- Shop Local Retailers – don’t take them for granted!
- Make Suggestions – local farmers and favorite local restaurant? Make the partnership.
- User Reviews – Yelp can grow businesses as much as they can crush them.
- Encourage others to visit your favorite businesses!
If you can’t make it out to your local community, then shop on Amazon! Amazon is a huge corporate business but it provides work and sales to thousands of small businesses. 83% of Amazon’s products are sold by third party retailers A.K.A small companies.